THE CULTURAL CENTER OF TIJUANA (CECUT) AND LUX BOREAL DANCE COMPANY
Leading up to Tijuana’s International Dance Festival: Cuerpos en Tránsito (Bodies in Transit) 2017
Aiming to stimulate the development of performing arts and trigger the general public with regard to dance and related disciplines, the Cultural Center of Tijuana and Lux Boreal call for artists to apply and present their work within the choreography competition: VI 4 x 4 TJ Night 2017.
The challenge is for choreographers and performers to face a platform of limited space to create a scenic concept. The jury will be composed of artists with proven experience in dance and other artistic disciplines such as theatre, literature, visual and related arts. The jury will select the choreographers from the preliminaries that progress to the Grand Finale, which include the following prizes:
a) Best Choreography 4x4 TJ Night 2015: One indivisible prize of $30,000 m.n.
b) Honorable Mention for Choreography: 7,000 m.n.
c) Best Dancer: $7,000.00 m.n.
During the Grand Finale, the audience will put to vote for:
d) Crowd Favorite Prize TJ Night 2015: $7,000.00 m.n.
1. This call is intended for artists, dancers and performers from Mexico and abroad.
2. Eligible proposals, either contemporary dance or interdisciplinary scenic arts, are designed for a platform with a space area of 4 x 4 feet (1.20 x 1.20 meters) and 1 foot (30 cm) in height; Considering the public in a 360 degree setting.
3. The challenge of the 4 x 4 feet stage limit will be taken into account. IMPORTANT NOTE: The proposal must be danced on the platform from start to finish; stepping off of the platform within the choreography calls for disqualification.
4. The work can be premiering or previously released and adapted to the space.
5. The minimum duration of the work to its competition is 6 minutes, and a maximum of 10 minutes.
6. The work must involve a minimum of 2 performers on the platform.
7. The 4x4 TJ Night Choreography Competition 2017 is part of the “Extramuros” program from Tijuana ́s Cultural Center, the semifinals of this competition will be held in up to four nightclubs and/or alternative venues in the city of Tijuana, venues will be announced at the time of pre-selection.
8. Each work must be designed to appear in public places within the nightlife of Tijuana. The choreographers must anticipate uninterrupted general ambient lighting to the scenic area of the 4 x 4 platform.
9. In the event that the participant decides to use a platform other than the one provided in the competition, it must have the official measures and the participant will take care of the logistics of positioning, removal and transport of their own platform. Any proposal that puts at risk the integrity and security of the platform will be evaluated by the Selection Committee to decide its viability.
10. All selected participants acknowledge that any and all performances on the 4 x 4 platform, including the nightclub semi-finals and the Grand Finale at CECUT, run at your own risk and responsibility.
11. The members of the jury to the Grand Finale reserve the right to declare “null” to awards (b) and/or (c) mentioned above.
12. Choreographies that have formed part of previous editions of 4 x 4 TJ Night will not be accepted.
13. The proposals selected for the Grand Finale, may not undergo changes. They must be presented exactly as the judges in the semifinals selected them.
14. To be accepted and preselected for the semifinals in the choreography contest VI 4 x 4 TJ Night 2017, participants accept all rules mentioned within this call.
Note: The event organizer does not cover costs of transportation, logistics, accommodation or food for the participants.
Application Deadline: Applications will be received now until February 6th 2017: 18:00 hours Pacific Standard Time. Announcement of selected choreographies: Selected choreographies for the semifinals will be announced on February 15th 2017; Selected participants will be assigned by random drawing to one of the venues for the semifinals; all choreographers will be notified through email and press release.
Semifinals: The selected participants will be assigned to one of the semifinals by random: between March 30 and April 6th 2017 in venues within the city of Tijuana.
Grand Final 4x4 TJ Night 2017: For the first time ever, the Grand Final of the 4x4 TJ Night Choreography Contest will be held on the main stage at Tijuana ́s Cultural Center on April 8, 2017, the final will be part of the activities previous to the Tijuana ́s XIX International Dance Festival “Cuerpos en Transito”, where the Presentation of each finalist work and the winners will be announced.
I. Complete the application form that is located in the following link: www.luxboreal.org/4x4tjnight and attach the corresponding files in the correct format requested. (It is important to include the URL or link to the video of the work or work-in-process; minimum 5-minute duration designed for 4 x 4 platform).
II. Registration goes into effect from the launch of this call until the deadline Monday, February 6, 2017 at 18:00 hours (Pacific time).
III. Once the choreography is received and registered, the applicant will be given a confirmation notice of participation.
IV. An advisory committee will be established and will select the proposals to participate in this contest. The participants proposals will be announced on February 15th, 2017 via press release and e-mail; also publicized within the web pages of CECUT: www.cecut.gob.mx and Lux Boreal: www.luxboreal.org
All participants will receive a certificate of recognition for their participation from the Cultural Center of Tijuana and Lux Boreal.
For Further Information:
Tel. (664) 687- 9665