This position is part-time (25 hours/week)
Malashock Dance seeks a self-motivated, highly-organized Education Manager to assist in the development, coordination, and implementation of educational activities and events at our onsite school and outreach programs. Programs include, but are not limited to: weekly classes, student performances, summer dance camps for children, summer intensive programs, master classes, off-site programs including numerous in-school arts programs, and student performances.
The ideal candidate will have experience in dance and a background in education or arts education: teaching and performing; coordinating events and programs; working in dance studio or similar setting; and producing high-quality, educational, and hands-on programs for children. This position reports directly to the Managing Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Education Program Coordinator manages the daily operations of the School, while assisting in the planning, development, coordination, and implementation of Malashock Dance education outreach programs, activities, and events.
- Facilitates and attends workshops, programs, and events including preparation, set-up and clean-up.
- Assess and evaluate programs based on documentation, feedback from parents and students, performance review, and/or program evaluation.
- Coordinate, plan, and schedule educational programs including existing and new partnerships with local schools and institutions.
- Oversee administrative aspects of all education related programming including registration, contracting teachers, and scheduling classes.
- Assist the Managing Director in scheduling interviews, hiring, evaluating, and communicating with instructors and teaching artists.
- Supervises school-related work-study students and interns
- Contributes content and distributes school eblasts and Malashock Dance monthly newsletters.
- Provides support for grant-writing and reporting
- Manages box office and merchandise sales during Company and School performances
- Provides general administrative support as needed
- Manages studio maintenance
- Assist in the development of new programs and department initiatives
- Promote a positive interest in dance by being an enthusiastic role model.
Please note that the responsibilities described above are not all inclusive of actual job duties and is meant to give an applicant a basic summary of the job opportunity being offered.
- College degree in Dance, education, or other relevant area, or equivalent experience.
- Flexible schedule including weekends and/or occasional nights is required.
- Teaching experience utilizing effective classroom management skills.
- Experiencing in developing curricula and lesson plans.
- Ability to communicate audibly and clearly in informal classroom or field setting and quickly assess success of teaching techniques and able to keep group focused and attentive.
- Experience developing curriculum or lesson plans including the incorporation of both Common Core and VAPA Standards is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to travel to off-site program locations and transport teaching support materials as needed.
- Ability to prioritize and work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Adapts and quickly responds to changes in the work place.
- Participates effectively in teams with special attention to communication, budget, deadlines, and priorities.
- Familiarity with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and other office programs.
Ideal Candidate Qualities:
- Has a strong work ethic and can work independently.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high-energy environment.
- Has passion and excitement for working with children, teens and adults.
- Is a critical thinker and creative problem-solver.
- Is an articulate communicator.
- Consistently works in a positive and cooperative manner.
To be considered for this position, please send résumé, cover letter, and references to:
Subject Line: Education Program Manager
Once received, your résumé and submitted materials will be reviewed, and if your experience and if your background fits our needs, you will be contacted for an interview.