Headquarters/Studio: 200 E.12th St. National City, CA 91950
Founded in 2005, transcenDANCE Youth Arts Project is a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering youth from disadvantaged San Diego & National City neighborhoods to create positive personal growth and build healthy community through dance and performance. transcenDANCE has a strong reputation in San Diego for bringing high-quality and transformational dance and performance programs to teens through our innovative and holistic curriculum. On average, our programs serve over 100 youth per week at our headquarters and school sites. Our annual summer performance series reaches between 700-1000 audience members each year.
Position Summary: The Executive Director reports to, and works in partnership with, the Board of Directors and is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives, guided by its values. As such, the Executive Director works in close partnership with the Co-Founder/Artistic Director and Board and is responsible for:
- Along with the Board and Artistic Director, assuring the organization has a long-range strategy and plan which achieves its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- In partnership with the Board of Directors, work to recruit new members and strengthen the board.
- Providing leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff.
- Promoting active and strategic participation by key volunteers in all areas of the organization's work.
- Maintaining a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
Development and Fundraising:
- Creating and implementing an annual Development Plan.
- Writing key grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government funders (with support from other staff).
- Leading and managing overall development efforts.
- Lead other staff to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
- Cultivating and nurturing relationships with current and potential corporate sponsors, foundation sponsors, and individual donors.
- Developing and growing our individual donor base.
- Managing annual giving campaign/event.
Marketing (Public Relations/Communications):
- Ensuring the development and implementation of marketing & communication plans, including (1) public relations, (2) advertising, and (3) collaterals for specific targets.
- Publicizing the activities of the organization, its programs and goals.
- Establishing sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and businesses.
- Representing the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
Budget and Finance:
- Developing and implementing sound financial practices.
- Working with the Artistic Director, staff, and the Board Treasurer to prepare annual fiscal year budgets.
- Ensuring that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Maintaining official records and documents to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations.
- Maintaining the fiscal health of the organization.
- Being the main point-of-contact with ARTS, A Reason to Survive, key staff who hold back-end administrative services for the organization.
- Implementing and carrying out plans and policies authorized by the Board.
- Keeping the Board up-to-date on all matters of the organization on a monthly basis.
- The recruitment, employment, and release of administrative/operations personnel, both paid staff and volunteers.
- Ensuring that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- Encouraging all employees and volunteers to partake of professional development opportunities.
- Maintaining a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Candidate should have demonstrated leadership, fundraising, grantwriting and relationship management experience. This position requires someone to be both strategic and see through the administrative tasks to implement plans (given the small size of the organization). Other required qualifications include:
- Knowledge of the San Diego performing arts community and arena, specifically dance
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to manage staff, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Past success maintaining existing donor relationships and cultivating new relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Management experience, preferably with an advanced degree in the arts or non-profit management sectors
- Ability to manage several projects at once and be detail-oriented
- Ability to demonstrate initiative, and work under pressure
- Must have high level of professionalism
Hours/Compensation: This job opportunity is open to part-time or full-time hours depending on the experience level of the candidate. Salary commensurate with experience.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: Work is performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level with some hours able to be done from home; employee will work at a computer station approximately half of the weekly work hours; regularly
communicate by telephone and in-person with staff, supporters, and other professionals; occasionally lift, carry and position objects weighing up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Prior to reporting to work
- Clear background check, including fingerprinting
- Clear DMV record
transcenDANCE provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, age, medical condition, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, military status, caregiver status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO jobs@TDARTS.ORG THROUGH NOVEMBER 7, 2014. PLEASE, NO WALK-INS, PHONE CALLS, OR RECRUITERS.